September 3, 2008

The Fruits of our Labor Day!

It's that time of year again when I look forward to school starting, new beginnings, leaves falling, football starting, and Cory looks forward to . . . bottling SALSA! He likes making the homemade fresh stuff when tomatoes first sprout, but he really freaks when the end of summer is near and he can spend an entire day bottling salsa. Even he admits to being a little "obsessed" with it.

After 12 years, I am still convinced that the Sumsion family is at least half Mexican. (Sumsion is Spanish, right?) Boy, do they like their salsa. And, Cory once told me that he could eat Tacos every night if I would let him. I love tacos, but not for every meal!

On Labor Day Taylor woke the house up at his usual early time, and Cory hopped out of bed ready to run out and grab tomatoes. He goes to a little vegetable stand because he needs at least a bushel. Next, off to his mom's house to visit for just a bit, grab more extra large bowls and the pots. Not just any pots, but large, large pots. Then off to Walmart to get the peppers, garlic, onions (and whatever else he puts in salsa - I really don't know because it's a secret recipe), along with tortilla chips (of course) jars, lids, etc.
By about 1:00 p.m. he's home and we are in salsa making mode. This was the first of what seemed like 50 pots of tomatoes we blanched.




After blanching and peeling the tomatoes, they go into the blender. This is Taylor's reaction to the blender. . .



Actually, this was his reaction the second time around, because the first time I didn't have the camera in hand, so we did it again - - cruel and unusual punishment, I know! See him grip his high chair. After he calmed down he turned around and tried to exit off the back! None of my children have ever liked the vacuum, but issues with the blender??

Back to salsa. Most of the peppers and onions are blended with the tomatoes, because the girls in this house (me included) hate chunks in our salsa, but we allow dad to put some diced stuff in too mostly because he likes it, but it's really good.
So this is what he does next. . .

Dice, dice and dice! My mom bought him a food processor a while back for Christmas specifically to help with his salsa making efforts, but he says he doesn't "believe" in that. Sorry mom!!! We use the food processor for other stuff.
Next is the phase where we let the salsa "cook down." I have no idea what that actually means, but I think it's a fancy way of saying the salsa thickens and the flavors soak in. Check out these CAULDRONS!


Cory stirs frequently to avoid burning and takes small amounts out of each pot every now and then to cool and taste test. Who knew that you can't test it while it's hot? Oh NO, it has a completely different flavor once it has cooled, so cooling is vital to the taste test. He adds a little of this and a little of that, and otherwise the cauldrons boil for like 3 hours and I don't have to do anything!!! Ha ha! WHATEVER!! This is the time where I start freaking out at what a disaster my kitchen has become despite the wonderful aroma that lingers clear into the garage, and I start to frantically wash, wipe, and mop everything I can get my hands on.

I don't know what time it is when we start bottling, but by around 11:30 p.m., this is what we have . . .



I doesn't look like it, but that is 40 something glorious jars of salsa. We also had two large tupperware bowls, one bowl for work and one for immediate consumption! MMMMM mmmmm :) Is this considered food storage, because Cory could eat nothing but salsa for months if necessary, even for drink - - I think he would chug it like milk if he had to.
People have told him that he should start botting it to sell. He'll challenge anyone, any day to a salsa cookoff. I think I'm going to call the Food Network about having a Showdown with Bobby Flay - (YES, I had to ask Bailee and Morgan exactly what the show was called because I forgot and they are obsessed with the Food Network).
Cory hoards his salsa more than anything, so if he offers to share, consider yourself lucky. If you've ever received a jar, consider yourself family.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yummy. I could eat a taco every meal of the day and never get sick of them. That salsa looks so good. Enjoy! Provecho!

Julia said...

My mom must have contacted you, then paid you, to create this post as torture for me. I have been boo-hooin' to her about homemade salsa. Matt had too many projects going on in the back yard to do a garden this year, so no fresh produce to make my beloved salsa. I salivate as I type this...

Aimee said...

Wow, Ang! So impressive. I haven't done salsa in a few years because it takes FOREVER! I do beets every year because we always run out of those. And, I am working on freezer jam now.. but that's easy. Especially compared to salsa. Jer and Cory have more in common than we ever realized.. Jer is a great cook too. I think he could take on Bobby Flay with a BBQ Sauce throw down. He makes homemade BBQ Sauce for his ribs and has learned that he has to send a bottle to each member of the family every time.It's like salsa.. you can put it on anything. Yummy. When are we going to get together? Taylor looks just like Cory! Wow.

Dawn said...

Dang, why didn't I know this when you lived here? I loooooove salsa too. I could definitely eat it every day. Maybe you could sneak the secret recipe from him and send it to me!?? :) Your blog looks great by the way!

Chad said...

I love homemade salsa..do you need my address to deliver some as a late bday present?

Kendra said...

Hi Angela!!! I was so excited you commented on my blog! I didn't know you had one too! I can't believe how big YOUR girls are!! It really does seem like yesterday huh? I can't believe it! Also, congrats on your little boy!! Aren't they fun! I'm still waiting to experience the "girl" thing:) Not for a while though! Well, I'm excited now to keep tabs with you guys! Also, did you know there is a Taco Maker in Park City too? That was a nice suprise last time I went! It makes it an extra special day to go to the outlets! Taco Time is nowhere close!!

Mandy said...

Umm, hello...where's my salsa?? No more babysitting, borrowing butter, sugar, pieced of pie, or trips to the Maverick until a jar is placed nicely on my doorstep.

Love your Sis (you know which one).

The Sumsions said...

Okay Mandy, I definitely owe you one!!! Ooops. Especially after this week of borrowing. What can I say, it was Sunday and we needed cookies! You get one TODAY :)